The Girl Who Lived

Okay. I know technically speaking it is, “The boy who lived” but since I can’t be fancy Harry Potter, let me have my moment in the sun.

I have been thinking about this day for a while. Specifically, May 5th. Its kinda a super important day in my life.

Its not my birthday, that is 22 days away.

Its not my anniversary, that is 20 days away.

Nope. I almost died. Whaaaaaaaaaat? Yeah, I know. True story.

Let me tell you a little story, once upon a time I woke up late and got ready for work. I got into my car and I didn’t make it. Instead, I had a fancy, chauffeured trip to the emergency room. Which, if you have never been up close and personal with an ambulance, let me dispel you of any ideas you might have about them. They are not super cool, they are incredibly uncomfortable. They smell of disinfectant and they are stark looking, but they are the gateway to a better place, which is the hospital so you can’t be too picky. And the EMTs are the bomb dot com. I am so serious. I owe a big part of my life to the two EMTs that were called to the scene of my accident. They were very professional, even when I almost puked on one and about passed out on the stretcher.

I don’t remember a lot from that day. Thankfully, I barely remember the accident. From what I do remember, I pulled out in front of a delivery truck and I was t-boned on my passenger side. The sun was so bright that morning, I never even saw him coming. I kinda remember the car spinning and the door wouldn’t open. The air bag deployed, thank God I had my seatbelt on (safety first kids!) and my friends son ended up being there to rip the door open so I could get out. He carried me to another persons truck (which ended up being a close friend’s of mine father) and sat with me while I cried. Things get a little fuzzy there, I remember trying to tell someone I needed to go to work and I would be okay. They obviously told me no. My eldest sister was called and I refused to go anywhere without her. I was terrified, bruised, couldn’t walk. It was miserable.

They brought me to the nearest hospital and I really only remember bits and pieces at that point. A lot of crying happen. My sisters and soon to be mother in law stayed crowded in my little room, my husband showed up. I was in so much pain even with the medicine they had me on. I went home that day and I was out of it for about 3 or so days. People visited, I spent my days in bed.

I ended up fracturing my pelvis in two separate places, which is incredibly painful. The only way to heal it is to deal with it. No cast, nothing. I sprained my ankle, messed up my foot (which still to this day has issues) and was bruised all over. I couldn’t walk on my own for about a month. I was stuck with a walker and a wheelchair, and when you are 21 years old, the last thing you want is a wheelchair. I couldn’t shower on my own, I couldn’t even go to the bathroom without help from someone. I am a pretty independent person and that broke me. My sisters were absolutely incredible to me. I have ALWAYS been a pain in the ass, and it got way worse once I was rendered useless. They both sat with me, helped me shower, walked me to and sat me on the toilet and never once did they complain.

I had friends call and visit me. My nephew who was 11 at the time, came home from school and would take care of me. He made me numerous cups of mac and cheese. He would yell at me if I tried to get up and do something for myself.

I had a lot of mixed feelings at the time. I was in so much pain, it was a little overwhelming. Part of me was so thankful to be alive and another part was in so much pain, all I kept thinking was “I should have died. It would have been better.”

I spent many nights laying uncomfortably in my bed, crying myself to sleep because of the pain that I was in. Pain that pain killers couldn’t even touch. I had plenty of doctors appointments after that my sweet angel of a mother in law took me too. I have had enough x-rays and MRIs to last me for the rest of my life. My doctors and nurses were so incredible to me.

So here I am, a year later. I will always have pain in the right side of my hip, and I have a knot on my left leg that is slowly going away. I am so thankful that I lived that day. I started a new career, I got married and I even got a new car out of the deal.

Bad things happen, but I am so incredibly thankful for a second chance at life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s